Characters In The Chapter
- Shadow: Millionaire business owner
- Nancy: Shadow’s ex-slave; a computer whiz.
- Sasha: Rita’s sister, very beautiful; former lawyer with Daniels, Harper and Beam
- Frank Shapiro: (reference only); a lawyer at Daniels, Harper & Beam;
- Leo Clifton: Managing partner of Daniels, Harper and Beam; Before she was enslaved he was Sasha’s boss and mentor, almost friend; he lusts after her.
- Maria: Leo Clifton’s secretary
- historical reference only; Leonardo (Leo) Ciffetti; Ernesto (Ernie) AndrezziL Michelangelo (Manny ‘the Maniac’) Cabrelli: Leonardo Cifetti is now Leo Clifton
- Ernie Andrezzi (reference only)
- Luigi: Bartender at The Velvet Club
Shadow got off the elevator and went to the reception desk. The young woman manning the desk smiled pleasantly and asked, “May I help you, sir?”
“Yes, I have an appointment with Frank Shapiro.”
“Oh, yes sir, you must be Mr. Shadow.” Shadow nodded to confirm her assumption. She looked away from him momentarily to consult her large appointment book, then looked back at him.
“There has been a slight change Mr. Shadow, you will be meeting with Mr. Clifton rather than Mr. Shapiro. I’ll buzz Mr. Clifton to let him know you’re here. Please have a seat over there, he will be right with you, I know he’s expecting you.”
Shadow was mildly annoyed, but said nothing to the receptionist. There would be nothing she could do about it in any event. What the hell? I’m getting shuffled off to the ‘B’ team before we even get started. Ahhh, who knows, maybe I just got promoted to the ‘B’ team. He did as had been requested and sat on the large couch in the waiting area. In a very short time an older woman, nicely dressed, came through a door from the inner offices and headed directly to him. He rose as she approached. “Mr. Shadow? I’m Maria, Mr. Clifton’s secretary, come with me please.” Shadow dutifully followed. He followed her from a hallway with utilitarian carpet and beige walls into a heavily paneled large outer office with thick, plush carpeting. Without pausing, she led the way to the doorway of the innermost office and beckoned him to enter. He entered a huge corner office containing massive and obviously expensive furniture. He was immediately taken aback as he took in the details and decorations. The office was furnished with many mementoes, including more than a few pictures of the office’s occupant with the President, a few past Presidents and some Hollywood luminaries. Boy was I wrong! This is not only the ‘A’ team; I think I got the captain of the team.
To read the entire episode, click the link below.
To start at the beginning of the story, (Rita’s Choice), click this link;